Dr. Babu Lal, with over 37+ years of experience, has successfully headed Human Resource Development Institute (HRDI), NOIDA of BHEL, a Maharatana Company of Government of India, as Executive Director (Corporate Learning & development). He has taken care of L&D of BHEL through HRDCs spread across all the manufacturing units as well as project sites and has spearheaded the development of behavioral and technical competencies of employees from grass root level to senior management besides leadership development and launched three very successful programs titled “Winning together for Gen – Y “and “Resilient leadership” for middle management and “Leader as a coach”.
He has given special thrust to technical training in BHEL and has been instrumental in launching e-learning modules in the area of leadership and project management for which company has received an award from HRDN. The success story of BHEL for implementing E- learning modules from Harvard ManageMentor, where module completion rate has been 99.8% as against 36% in other PSUs world over, has been published by Harvard Publishing.
He has also been associated in the preparation of Strategy Map and Balanced Scorecard of the company and finalization of BSCs of Units & Regions and their subsequent assessment. He has been actively associated in preparation of Revenue Budget of the units and regions in close coordination with Corporate Finance, Business Sectors and Project management Group. During his long innings at Operations Management function, he has acquired deep knowledge of working of BHEL besides the details of products and processes of the company across Manufacturing Units, Power Sector regions and Business Sectors. Besides this he has keen interest in the area of manufacturing automation, IIOT, green energy, counseling, mentoring, coaching, innovation, skill building and entrepreneurship with focus in manufacturing, farm sector, and green energy. He started many new technical programs including mechatronics, IIOT, business intelligence and analytics, IGBT based drives for transportation etc.
He has keen interest in the area of productivity of intellectual capital. He has been a member of the Board of Studies of technical institutes of national repute.
- Active member of Governing council of Power Sector Skill Council as well as Capital Goods Sector Skill Council.
- Mentor of Change for Atal Innovation Mission by NITI Aayog.
- He is involved with NITIE, Mumbai and IIM Indore and has signed broad based MOUs for mutual benefit for knowledge sharing.
- He is a faculty in the areas of strategic operations Management with Knowledge Management perspective as well as leadership development for VUCA world.
- He has been instrumental in organizing Advanced Management Program (AMP) with IIM Calcutta, a premier management institute, for over 150 senior officers primarily to groom and build future leadership pipeline.
Education Background and long duration training programs:
• Ph. D in the area of Strategic Management from Department of Management Studies, IIT‐Delhi. Area of research was knowledge management for competitive advantage.
• Visionary Leader for manufacturing – an year long program organized by CII under a joint program of Indian & Japanese government
• M. Tech. in Industrial Engineering from IIT‐Delhi
• 3 month advanced program of computer based MIS at IIM Ahemdabad.
• Graduate in Electrical Engineering from MREC (Now MNIT) Jaipur.